In these uncertain economic times, it is very easy to be anxious and worry about your future. Often anxious thoughts can become overwhelming. Children too, are starting to become more anxious. Here are some tried and true techniques to deal with any kind of anxiety. These techniques can work with children and adults.
1. Pray to God for peace and trust that He is sovereign in your life. Leave your worries with Him. He will be up all night anyway. Read scripture that addresses the issue of worry. An excellent Christian Book and Bible Study on this topic is “Calm My Anxious Heart” by Linda Dillow. This is a book you will read and reread for years to come.
2. Remember to breathe deeply. Take deep belly breaths and hold for 10 seconds and then slowly release the breath for 10 seconds.
3. Schedule time to worry. Each day you are allowed to worry for 15 minutes about anything. If a thought comes up during the worry time, tell your thought it can worry during the scheduled worry time.
4. Journal what you are worrying about. Writing thoughts down will get the thoughts out of your head and onto paper. Often after writing down your thoughts you may receive clarity about the situation and you can then develop an action plan.
5. Are you concerned about something you can actually change? If so, then make the change. If not, then how is worrying beneficial?
6. Look back over your life and realize that most of the things you worried about in the past, in reality, never happened.
Learn to rest in your Savior’s arms and leave your worries with Him.
Kimberly M. Chastain, MS, LMFT is the Christian Working Mom Coach, a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, and author of the Voices of Christian Working Moms and two EBooks. www.christianworkingmom.com.
Article seen on the website of Florence Simmons, www.common-sensewisdom.com.